CLOSE

Ompuri: Never forget debt


If Sadgat actor Ompuri had been alive on October 19, he would have turned 50 years old, but in Sadgat's memory, his wife Nandita and Isha have launched a 'Puri Baate' on YouTube to pay a unique tribute to this wonderful actor Om Puri.

Om Puri took a lifeline in just three months of her 7th birthday. However, Sadgat's wife and son have paid homage to the actor who has achieved this milestone journey.

Not only in Hindi films, but also in English films and British serials, Om Puri has gained global recognition and introduced his acting ability. This is why he was awarded the prestigious OBE. (Order of the British Empire) Award for service to the British film industry. The British capital, London, had accidentally become a second home for Om Puri.

I remember visiting him, sitting on his rooftop terrace, talking about his difficult career with a sip of his tea.

Om Puri came to Mumbai in the mid-190s. He had earlier completed a three-year course at the National School of Drama in Delhi and a two-year course at the Pune Film Institute in Pune. Naseeruddin Shah was his senior in the institute so Om Puri came to Mumbai and camped at his home in Santa Cruz. He had a small bag in his hand with him. "A week later, he sent me a message saying, 'How many days do you plan to stay here?' 'I've been independent since I was in ninth grade. He also worked in a restaurant and was a clerk. That’s why I came here. Keeping body and soul together, he was strict with Anil Kapoor, Mazhar Khan, Gulshan Kumar and others in Roshan Taneja's acting classes.

Om Puri's first film as an actor was Govind Nihalani, in which he got a good amount of Rs.500 for his work. In Nihalani's 'Ardh-Satya' (19), he played the role of a policeman very beautifully. Because of this he received good praise and applause. After this he never looked back. People still remember that film for its noble acting in 'Ardhasatya'.

Om Puri was not only known in India but also in the streets of London when people called him. Thus, he was an internationally renowned artist. Many would say to him, 'Hi, Om Puri, I loved you in the East.' It was not just the British calling him that. He was also known in stores, restaurants and airport check-in counters.

Alas, Om Puri had a treasure trove of memories of the Telluride Film Festival. Traditionally this was a small town in the United States, with a good number of Italian, Mexican or French restaurants, and the hotel owner would greet the delegates with one hand as Om Puri stood by a restaurant here for a cup of free coffee. , 'We loved you East is. My Son the Fanatic and City of Joy. '

One thing Om Puri always kept in mind was who helped him. He said, 'I thank Jennifer Kapoor. He is the one who has made me shine on the international horizon. Jennifer recommended my name when the makers of 'The Jewel in the Cow' were looking for artists. ' Om Puri was seen in the first three episodes of the popular serial. Due to one, he got work in other films, including 'Gandhi' and 'City of Joy'. Om Puri hired well-known talent agent Jeremy Conway. He was saying and even warning, 'You are a wonderful actor. But I do not know the share of Indian artists in foreign productions. Even so, Ompuri kept getting relevant work.

He shared many interesting stories with me after he worked with A-listers in Hollywood such as Jack Nichols (Wolf) and Patrick Swayze (City of Joy). The actor had a friend જે Jack Nicholson બંને as both were smokers. Apparently smoking on the set of a Hollywood movie was forbidden. So, the assistant suggested that Om Puri was smoking in the Badboys Corner ... After this Nichols also started smoking. After the shot, Jack Nichols suddenly asked Om to join him and the two started smoking together. Om Puri told me I asked him some questions. Some of them did not like it. So they went back and put themselves in a state of confusion. After this they paused for a long time, but then he answered. '

In 2010, when I was working with Helen Mirren in the hit film 'The 100 Feet Journey', Manjok said, 'This is my Smita Patil.'

I last met Om Puri a month before his death. When Nandita's right leg was fractured, I dropped a message at Om Puri's house wishing her a speedy recovery. He (Om Puri) made a Patiala peg of vodka for me and handed it to me. ‘Drink with me’ I refused, but he insisted. With the drink in hand they took me to their son Ishaan's room and showed me the family photograph hanging on the wall with the pride of the elders.

Comments